I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Saturday, 23 November 2019

Day 2 - oops

Today we went to buy our Christmas meat from Tesco, they had good value gammons, beef and a boneless pork leg crackling joint on offer (thank you for the heads up, WendyT) at just £2.50, half price.  So 2 pork joints, a gammon and a small beef joint are now in the freezer, following some reorganisation to squash everything in.  I'm not including any of this meat in my No Shopping challenge, as it's for Christmas and new year.

However....whilst in there I also managed to buy a few other things (see, this is why I want to NOT go shopping - it's too easy to buy stuff if you do!).  I got another dozen eggs, a Savoy cabbage, some blue Stilton and 2 bars of chocolate, spending £6.36 on those few things.  Ok, so I've used quite a lot of eggs this past week and would probably have run out of them very soon, and I wanted the Stilton to add flavour to a few veggie and pea & ham soups I'm planning to make.  Another green veg will be useful, plus I want to make coleslaw for tonight's tea.  And the chocolate is not to eat as a bar, both bars have been put in the baking cupboard for when I want to bake something chocolatey.  So nothing frivolous or unnecessary, although I dare say I could have managed without them, well, except for the eggs.  Bad me.  That's it though, I'm not planning on going shopping again for at least a fortnight and hopefully longer.

We had one of my homemade sausage rolls each with cheesy beans for lunch.  For dinner tonight we're having sandwich steaks in husband's homemade quick sourdough mixed grain rolls, with sweet potato fries topped with grated cheese and the homemade coleslaw, I'll mix a spoonful of grainy mustard into the mayo.

Day 2 - Total spent on No Shopping challenge: £6.36.

4 comments:

  1. It happens, doesn't it? You'd've had to get some of it soon anyway.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to your imaginative meals. Photos if you can of some of it. Here's to meals a plenty and fun times producing things that sound scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get cross with yourself over it, you have increased your stocks and know that you will be using them and that most of it was necessary. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that is why if I'm doing a Challenge I stay away from the shops. Some good bargains though … I'll be lenient, just this once ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!