I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Saturday, 30 November 2019

Day 8 - weekend so relaxing a bit

Thank you for comments....you're probably right about the salt content of the cappucino sachets, Snoskred.  But we don't have many manufactured foods and I don't use much salt in cooking, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Yesterday, Day 7, we had a tub of previously-made soup out of the freezer for lunch, it was beef and vegetable, I'd made a huge pan of it a few weeks back and froze it in portions, there are still 2 tubs left.  It's delicious, once it's all used up I'll be making more.  I made it using just 200g of minced beef, a whole 1kg pack of frozen diced mixed veg, a couple of leftover rashers of smoked bacon, a large onion, couple of big handfuls of pearl barley.  For the stock I used 2 beef cubes, a squirt of tomato puree and heaped tsp Marmite.  Husband had a slice of homemade bread with his.  Dinner was cod baked in a foil parcel with lemon, dill and a splash of olive oil, on a bed of a little wholewheat pasta (half the portion size we'd normally have) topped with green beans, peas and sweetcorn.  

As it's Saturday we're not being so strict.  Breakfast was a slice of homemade bread toast with Marmite and sliced Cheddar.  For lunch we had bubble and squeak using up some leftover veg, with a fried egg.  For dinner tonight we're having smoked haddock fishcakes with oven baked sweet potato chips and homemade mushy peas....a bit carby but hey ho.  I've also made an apple crumble, with the last few useable apples from our disappointing crop this year - we had quite a few but they just didn't store well at all, going yellow and soft very quickly unlike previous years, I think it's because of all the rain we had.  I've put cinnamon in with the apples, the crumble mix is made with brown flour, oats and chopped walnuts, with just a little demerara sugar.  The crumble will do us for today and tomorrow, topped with Elmlea.

We were running low on milk so had to buy a couple of cartons at £1.09 each yesterday.  But that's all we bought!

So the running total on Day 8 is £8.54, which I'm pretty pleased about.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing so well with your menus and your money saving, I am so happy for you. Hugs XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good only buying the milk. Didn't think you could do it , did you?
    Did the hubby go in without you? :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!